Here are 5 suggestions to help you identify your purpose
1. Identify the universalities in your messages
2. Be clear about who you are writing for- identify your audience
3. Understand that it may help and it may not- but you are trying to do something positive with words
4. Make sure you know who you are writing for- if it is yourself then that is okay too, make sure you keep perspective always.
5. A story or poem should move your reader, and by moving them you can make them think
I hope this helped you! Remember to have fun writing and to make sure your words matter.